Dapple dyeing

This week during the evenings I have been playing with spot dyeing. I'm trying to create a spot dye process that is not haphazard. I am the type of person who hates not knowing how something is going to turn out. I have had terrible luck in the past with spot dyeing, ruining more wool than not. Either the mixture of color ends up with mud or colors I don't like and won't ever use in my rugs, or the pattern is splotched in a way that won't cut and hook into nice shadows in my florals or backgrounds. I also hate not being able to duplicate a spot dye I have made and actually like.

So I have been experimenting and making mistakes, and one mistake I made created some wool I ended up loving. So I have been working on using the mistake to further refine a technique. Once I get it down really well, I'll post the technique in case you want to give it a try. But the long and short of it is that I am only using one color dye (so I don't get mud) and I am using measured amounts of wool and dye (so I can reproduce the wool) and I am using a quart mason jar (so it is easy and the wool will always have the same spot dye look).

The spot dye is a little different in its look. It reminds me of marble or a dark dappled rump of a horse. Since "marbleized wool" is already a technique recognized by hookers as using three different colored wools, rolling them in a sausage, tying them, and processing in a stew pot, I am not going to use that term.

So "dappled dyeing" will be its name.