Dyeing requires a kitchen with a stove or an oven and a sink. All dishware, utensils, storage containers, and other equipment MUST be dedicated to dyeing. Once it is used in the dye process it can never again be used for food preparation, storage, serving, or eating.
The reason for this is that the dyes we work with are toxic if ingested. They are poison. So purchase equipment that will be labeled dye equipment, stored away from the kitchen, and out of reach of children and animals. This is also true of the dyes themselves. Keep them away from children and animals. Work in a still environment - no open windows, no fans - so that the dry dyes don't become airborne when you are measuring them. You do not want to inhale them. Read and follow all warnings and precautions written on the labels of the dyes you choose to use.
I do not say this to scare you away from dyeing, but only to make you keenly aware that dyes need to be treated with appropriate precautions as you would any other poison around your house like cleaning fluids or pesticides.
1. Eight pieces of prepared white wool, each 6" by 16"
2. One 9" by 13" glass baking dish
3. Eight wide-mouth quart mason jars
4. One 8-ounce jelly jar with lid
5. Set of TOD dye spoons
6. Acid dyes (either Cushing's or Pro-Chem)
7. One tablespoon measure
8. One teaspoon measure
10. White vinegar
11. Rubber gloves
12. Plastic tongs
13. Wooden kabob skewers or chopsticks
14. Spray bleach
15. One quart crock pot, preferably 6.5 quart or larger
16. Binder or notebook to record your dye recipes and experiences
17. Big safety pins
18. Round labels with metal edges (called "split ring key tags" 1 1/4" diameter or larger)
19. Permanent black marker