For Palette Dyeing, wool needs to be prepared in strips approximately 6" by 16". Here is a quick and easy way to do it.
1. Take a yard of white wool and launder it in warm water and laundry soap in a normal washing machine cycle. Dry in dryer using normal heat and fabric softener sheet. Prewashing and drying the wool will remove any sizing and begin to tighten the wool fibers without felting it.
2. Remove the selvages by clipping and tearing along the length of the yard.
3. Fold the yard in half with selvage-torn edges together.
4. Fold again by bringing the center fold to the selvage-torn edges.
5. Fold again by bringing the new center fold to the selvage-torn edges, so that you have a bundle measuring approximately 6" wide by 32" long.
6. Clip the folded edge through all four layers.
7. Clip the folded edges on the other side.
8. Tear each of the clips, so that you have eight pieces approximately 6" wide by 32" long.
9. Fold each piece in half and cut across, so that you have sixteen pieces approximately 6" wide by 16" long.